The Latrobe Public Library was founded September 1, 1927 in the Masonic Building on the first block of Spring Street. Mrs. Eleanor Bye was the first librarian and was followed by other talented directors including the legendary Sara McComb.
When the Masonic Building could no longer hold the books and patrons, George Hamilton Adams, a railroad industrialist, and his wife, Mary Fisher Adams, developed a plan for the growing library in their hometown, leaving their estate to the library.
Adams Memorial Library was completed in the fall of 1954. It currently contains over 100,000 volumes and has topped 300,000 in annual circulation. Special features include the Resource Center library of educational toys and games, where educators and children can find useful tools to make learning more enjoyable. Tracy Trotter is our current director, Karen Herc is Children’s Director, with Jennifer Fetter as Branch Manager of Caldwell Memorial Library.
In the local community of Derry, Adams Memorial Library has its Caldwell Memorial Library, which was established in 1992 in the Derry Area High School. During the day, the space operates as a school library, and in the evenings and on weekends it transforms into a public library.
The growth of Adams Memorial Library cannot be acknowledged without the help of Robert E. Reed. Upon his passing, Mr. Reed gave the bulk of his estate to the library and two other facilities. The library still uses this money today as a source of funding.
Adams Memorial Library is also funded through the State, Westmoreland County, Latrobe and surrounding townships, school districts, and private grants, including generous donations by the McFeely-Rogers Foundation, the Latrobe Foundation, the McKenna Foundation and the Arnold Palmer Foundation. Patron donations and memorial books also help the library maintain a collection that appeals to everyone.
Adams Memorial Library and Caldwell Memorial Library serve the populations of the City of Latrobe, Derry Township, Derry Borough, Donegal Township, Donegal Borough, Youngstown, and New Alexandria.